Day 233 – Public Service Announcement to Female MC’s
December 23, 2011 § Leave a comment
Alright, I’m posting this entry out of necessity. A couple things I want to talk about and I think I’ll just number them to keep things clear.
1. Don’t post videos of you sitting in front of your computer rapping if you’re really a serious rapper. I have posted some of this type of video in the blog but it’s really not a good representation.
2. When reciting your raps in the studio, memorize your songs before you record it. Many of the female rappers I have found sound like they are reading their lyrics, not rapping them.
3. Presence on the track – bring it! It’s an uphill battle here and you better have come to fight or you should just sit down. Make yourself stand out from the crowd, not fit into it. Delivery, projection, concepts, confidence. The list goes on and on.
4. Get yourself a good video representation of yourself. It doesn’t take too much to have something good up. It might take a little time and a little money but it will be worth it in the end. Part of the problem for women in hip hop is a lack of presence.
5. Don’t buy into what’s hot right now. Say what you want to say, what you think is important, speak to your personal experience. You will gain more listeners by being you (not a product).